Caption: Spirit Quartz. Photo copyright Jeni Campbell/www.angeladditions.co.uk
I’ve been using crystals to facilitate spirit release and soul retrieval for over forty five years. Whilst I believe that spirit release is best carried out by trained specialists, there are times when healers, counsellors and other therapists are suddenly confronted with the need to release entities or retrieve soul parts. This is where crystals come in, especially when supported by purpose-made essences. I find these gentle, compassionate tools invaluable for three reasons. The first is that they protect my own energies, creating an interface at which I can work safely so I can give all my attention to the work in hand. The crystal stands at the border between my personal energy field, the other person and the entity, creating a barrier so the entity cannot attach to me after release. Crystals also maintain a sacred and energetically clean space in which to work.
The second reason is that crystals energetically facilitate release and call in higher helpers and divine light to move the spirit on, facilitating the work. Crystals can, when needed, provide a ‘home’ for a spirit or entity until it can be moved on or returned to whence it came. They also act rather like a net to hold anything undesirable rather than setting it free to settle into some other vulnerable soul. But crystals can also be a healer and purifier for a soul part that is returning. The third gift is that they energetically seal the site of an attachment once it has been cleared, purifying and healing the aura, object or environment so that nothing else can attach.
Spirit attachment definition
To me, spirit attachment means that a discarnate spirit has entered a living person’s energy field or is influencing it. It can only occur when an energy field is weak and depleted, and when someone does not fully inhabit their body and the soul is not fully present so there is a ‘gap’ or vacuum. It often arises out of momentary loss of energetic boundaries such as in drink or drug taking, or the effects of anaesthetic, shock or trauma. It is common in cases of depression or debilitating illnesses like M.E. But it may also stem back to other lives or deliberate psychic attack. Attachment can be seen in the eyes, which are blank with ‘no one home’ or ‘someone else’ looks out from them. The attaching spirit usually seeks to experience something it was addicted to in life or to control someone. It may be simply lost or be malicious. Attachments are not confined to human beings and may arise from thought forms or alien sources. It’s not always external attachment although it will feel like it is. It may equally well be projection/repressed qualities/obsessive thoughts manifesting apparently externally. Spirit may also be attached to an object rather than a person. It is sensible to bear in mind that not all attaching spirits will have left their physical body. The living can ‘possess’ or overly influence the living. Attachments can arise from the thoughts and feelings of others who try to influence or control or who try to clutch onto your strength – a very common experience for healers, readers and counsellors. It’s as though they have their hooks into you (see below).
Crystal spirit release in ancient times
People tend to regard spirit release as comparatively new but the earliest spirit releases I have researched occur in Egypt and Mesopotamia where troublesome spirits were believed to interfere in people’s lives, causing havoc. Crystals were part of the tool box for dealing with them. People commonly wrote letters to a deceased person asking them to desist and wore crystal amulets to support that call and to protect themselves. A Mesopotamian banishing ritual at least five thousand years old uses Selenite. Once the spirit causing the misfortune has been expelled and returned to the otherworld, something has to be put in its place. Selenite held ‘the divine light of the gods’ and filled the vacuum so that nothing else could attach.
In Mesopotamia, each crystal had its own god who could inhabit and become the crystal in a way that we don’t fully grasp today because we have lost our understanding of ‘correspondence’ (roughly translated ‘as above, so below’). So, for instance, Lapis Lazuli was Venus, Carnelian Ninlil (a goddess of destiny) and so on. In those days illness was believed to be caused by attacking entities and there is a fascinating contemporary account of a priest healing a sick man. The ritual, which uses both crystal and sound therapy, constructs a net in which to ‘catch’ the invading spirit with the assistance of gods who become embodied in the magical tools:
‘The gypsum [Selenite] and bitumen which they smear on the door of the sick man. The gypsum is Ninurta [Saturn, one of the ‘good guys’ in Mesopotamian mythology]. The bitumen is Asakku [a demon god]. Ninurta pursues Asakku [i.e. good chases out the evil spirit].
The circle of flour which surrounds the bed of the sick man [is] Lugulgirra and Meslamtaea [other gods]
The three heaps of flour which they cast down [are] Anu, Enil and Ea
The design which they draw in front of the bed. That is a net any traps Any Evil.
The drum and cymbals which are resplendent at the head of the sick man. The drum is Anu. The cymbals are Enlil.
The standards which are set up at the head of the sick man. They are Sibitti, the great gods, sons of Ishara.
The scapegoat which is placed at the head of the sick man: Ninamaskuga, Enlil’s shepherd.
The censor and torch placed in the house of the sick man: The censor is Kusu. The torch is Nusku.’
Livingstone, Alasdair Mystical and Mythological Explanatory works of Assyrian and Babylonia Scholars Clarendon press, Oxford 1986 p.173ff
Unfortunately the tablet breaks off there so we don’t have a complete description of the ritual but we do know that it describes a battle between ‘good’ and ‘evil’ gods for the soul of the sick man. It is presumed that the invading spirit is then sent into the ‘scapegoat’ waiting at the head of the sick man but in other descriptions it is captured in ‘a stone’.
Part of Mesopotamian and Egyptian ‘closing rituals’ after detaching entities was to make a necklace out of Carnelian, Lazulite or Lapis Lazuli, Serpentine, ‘spotted stone’, ‘very spotted stone’, shiny silex (Flint), breccia and ‘little breccia’ (Jasper) beads. This was worn around the neck for seven days. Only some of these crystals can be accurately identified, but those that do still work today.
Caption: Selenite wands have been used since time immemorial
Appropriate, cleansed (see below) crystals can either be put directly onto the body, spiralled over the chakras or placed in a grid around the room, in the environment or around the physical body. They work well in the aura about a foot out from the physical body as that is where many of the more subtle attachments occur. Sweeping the whole aura with an appropriate crystal such as Anandalite often clears minor attachments without needing to know the full story and will send a spirit to the light, dissolve a thought form or detach undue influence. A crystal with a point will pull out energies when pointed away from the body, and draw in light when pointed towards it.
Crystals work best when they have been dedicated to their task and when their energies have been cleansed. They quickly pick up negative vibes and need to be cleansed before and after spirit release work or healing. I always ask that a crystal will work for the highest good of all and that a spirit or an entity will be returned to its rightful and appropriate place in whatever dimension or timeframe that may be. Purpose made crystal cleansers are extremely useful as they cleanse immediately so the crystal can be reused again and again. Petaltone Clear2Light or Crystal Balance Crystal Cleanse are invaluable as a few drops instantly cleanses a crystal and Crystal Recharge rapidly re-energises it. Petaltone Zl4 clears to fourteen etheric levels. Petaltone also make an excellent entity clearing essence, email them for details email@example.com
Keeping your energies high and your space safe
Crystals are excellent for protecting your energy when working. I always wear a Labradorite over my higher heart chakra (above the thymus) to screen energies. It allows me to be psychically aware of what is going on with a client but not to get sucked into the energy. Healer’s Gold works in the same way to create an interface at which I can work. Yellow Labradorite or Apophyllite helps you to be more psychically aware of subtle energies and to communicate with spirit. You don’t need big shiny crystals for this, raw chunks will do.
Caption: Labradorite, the perfect energy filtration tool: photo: Jeni Campbell
My favourite soul retrieval crystal tools:
Brandenberg: The one crystal I wouldn’t be without! Each crystal holds the essence of Clear, Smoky and Amethyst whether or not you can see the individual colours in the crystal, which usually has phantoms and bubbles that act like a ladder to higher consciousness. This the perfect tool for spirit release and soul retrieval. It also takes you back to the pure soul blueprint that existed before karmic encrustrations or family crud began to adhere. It heals the ancestral line, the personal or collective karmic lines, rejigs the etheric blueprint and restores the soul to perfection.
Smoky Amethyst Brandenberg
Smoky or Amethyst Spirit Quartz: Tiny drusy crystals cover a stone core in this amazing formation. I find it invaluable for helping transition to the next world whether of someone passing now or a spirit who has become stuck in the earthplane and needs to move on. This compassionate stone helps with soul retrieval, forgiveness and attaining unity consciousness.
Smoky Spirit Quartz Wand
Trigonic Quartz: The incised triangles in the stone represent souls entering or leaving incarnation. This is a powerful crystal best used by experienced crystal workers as it can have cathartic effects (see 101 Power Crystals and Crystal Bible Vol.3). It helps you to traverse the multi-dimensions of consciousness and facilitates inter-stellar travel and communication with star beings.
Trigonic Quartz: the soul midwife
Stibnite: This metallic stone has a particular resonance with ‘alien’ entities and energies and can be used to return an entity that doesn’t belong on Earth to its home star. It creates a ‘one-way portal’ through which the entity leaves and cannot return (see below) It also facilitates shamanic journeying to the lower worlds to facilitate soul retrieval and to help a practitioner move silently and with stealth when remaining unseen is the wise course.
Stibnite Wand: the Shaman’s tool
Smoky Elestial Quartz power sceptres: These sceptre shaped crystals are invaluable when a spirit does not want to leave. They enhance your power and your sensitivity so that you know exactly how to move a spirit or entity on to the right level to receive assistance from higher beings.
Smoky Elestial Power Sceptre
Selenite: frozen divine light, high vibration Selenite is the perfect receptacle for a spirit who needs somewhere to go while you continue release work. It assists with forgiveness and brings a soul to the light calling in higher beings and angelic helpers.
Selenite: frozen divine light
Crystals and soul loss
In my experience, an attachment can only arise when there is soul loss or fragmentation and it can be necessary to call a soul part home. Crystals help to purify the soul part and to reintegrate it. Calling the soul home, whether it’s a split off child part, an earlier past life part that hasn’t incarnated or the result of trauma or abuse in the present life, is facilitated with either a Brandenberg or Spirit Quartz but Fulgarite was traditionally used by American shamans to collect the soul part and blow it back into the heart.
Emergency Crystal Healing for Spirit Attachment
As the attaching spirit is, usually, an uninvited guest or the influence unsought, I believe this is one occasion when it is not necessary to request the other person’s permission to assist them as the spirit is breaching their autonomy and right to choice. If the person is not present you can either use or a photograph or imagine them in the room with you, or use yourself as a surrogate by performing the healing on your own body.
- As soon as you begin, imagine throwing out an energetic net to trap the attaching spirit so that it cannot slip away. (You can also lay out a crystal net before you start using Selenite, Bronzite or Black Tourmaline).
- Lay a protective Selenite or Black Tourmaline pentangle (five pointed star) on which you have preferably sprinkled Petaltone Astral Clear or Clear2Light around you. If the person is present, lay Selenite around them.
- Holding a Brandenberg or Smoky Amethyst (or other crystal from the list), place a Bytownite or Apophyllite on your third eye or on the person with the attaching spirit. Ask that the spirit will make itself known and tell you why it has chosen to stay close to the Earth. Ascertain whether the spirit knows it has passed to another plane of being.
- Talk to the spirit as appropriate, addressing his or her concerns and offering unconditional love, reassurance and understanding. Then ask if the spirit is ready to move into the light for healing.
- Place appropriate crystals over the soma (mid-hairline), heart and solar plexus chakras. Visualise hands reaching down to help the spirit move into the light. If the spirit is reluctant, ask that his or her guardian angel and higher self will assist the process.
- Ask if the person who had the attachment needs to call any part of his or her own energy or soul back. If so, call it back with the Brandenberg or Selenite letting it pass through that crystal for purification, and place it over the heart. Allow that energy to be reabsorbed.
- Now take the Brandenberg or Selenite all the way around the body, sides, front and back, to heal and seal the biomagnetic field.
[Extracted from Good Vibrations]
Lost souls and stuck spirits
Some lost souls may be deeply troubled and their interaction with the living can be malicious. They may have unfinished business, or powerful desires especially for control over another person or to re-experience substance abuse, or simply do not know how to move on or to let go. Sometimes they do not even know that they are dead – after all, they feel very much alive! They may wonder why everyone around them appears to ignore them – and do all they can to gain attention. Other souls are simply clinging to what they know. This is work for an experienced therapist.
Dealing with thought forms
To remove an external thought form, programme a large piece of one of the crystals below and leave in a room to do its work. Internal thought forms can be quickly dissolved with a crystal placed over the third eye as they tend to be stored in the brow chakra or just behind the ears. Use a Selenite Wand to detach them or place one of the following crystals over the chakra for ten minutes. Banded Agate is excellent where the thought form has been implanted by a guru or is the result of a distorted, contaminated implant of ‘healing’ symbols – follow up with a Brandenberg Amethyst to replace it with a pure program. Aegerine over the third eye is excellent for mental obsession or possession where you can’t get someone out of your mind
The Uncursing Ritual
Many soul parts get stuck in previous lives because they have, deliberately or inadvertently, been cursed. This ritual is excellent for removing past life curses that hold a soul part in thrall but it also clears ancestral attachments, thought forms and entities. You can do it for yourself or on another person. (Petaltone Essences make a crystal essence that can facilitate this process.)
· Make a large rectangle big enough to lie down in with Tourmalinated Quartz at each corner. Join the crystals up with a wand to create a sacred space into which you can step or place the person you are working in (lie down for the ritual).
· Place a fifth Tourmalinated Quartz crystal just below the breastbone above the solar plexus. Hold a Nuummite crystal in your right hand (a wand or wedge shape is ideal) and a Novaculite or Flint shard in your left hand.
· Beginning at the crown chakra, place both hands above the head and ‘comb’ across the chakra about a hand’s breadth above the body with each of the crystals in turn starting with the Novaculite (be careful as this flinty crystal can be very sharp). As you work on the chakra, ask that you or your patient and all the ancestral line be released from all and any curses/thought forms that have been put at any time in the past.
· Moving your hands in a figure of eight formation that crosses and then moves apart again at each chakra, move down the body cleansing and clearing each chakra in turn.
· When you reach the base chakra, work back up the chakras again with the same sweeping figure of eight movement until you reach the crown. Continue until the chakras feel clear.
· Now close your eyes and ask that the person who placed the curse will make him or herself known to you. You may see a clear picture or get a prickling sensation on one side of your head or a pain somewhere in your body – in which case move the Tourmalinated Quartz over the spot either on your own body or that of your patient to absorb the pain. Talk to this person, discuss why the curse was placed, how it can be removed and what reparation, if any, is required on either side. Offer or accept forgiveness. Then ask that the curse be lifted from the recipient and all the generations to come and those who have gone before, everyone who has been affected. Feel the effect of the crystals radiating back through time and forward into the future freed from the effects of the curse and bringing beneficial experiences and joyful learning to everyone involved.
· Work through each chakra again in turn with the Novaculite and Nuummite again healing and sealing each one with light.
- Find a place where you can set out the Tourmalinated grid and leave it to continue its work.
Caption: Tourmaline in Quartz, Nuummite and Novaculite: the perfect de-cursing kit
The crystal portal
Place a Stibnite crystal crossways over a long-pointed Chlorite Quartz and top with a Selenite wand. This one-way portal soaks up any negativity, releases the soul or entity and sends it out of the Earth-plane and into light where it can be handled by wise mentors and soul-rescuers.
Unless otherwise stated, photographs courtesy of John van Rees Jnr www.exquisitecrystals.com
 This notion is covered in detail in one of my academic essays which is to be found on the Astrozero website and in my MA dissertation which is on www.judyhall.co.uk.
[x_author title=”About the Author”]